Wednesday, March 19, 2008

To Meet With God

True worship is the acknowledgment and realization of the presence of the glory of God. We are like mirrors reflecting, to God and to others, His glory. Expanding on John 4:24, worship encompasses both spirit and truth. It is both a subjective experience and an objective activity, meaning it involves not only our intellect, but also our emotions. Jesus says in that passage, "we must worship in spirit and in truth." John Piper said in his book, Desiring God, "Worship must be vital and real in the heart, and worship must rest on a true perception of God. There must be spirit and there must be truth." This is a non-negotiable.

Worship is for God. We come before him to give him all the praise and all the glory he deserves. Let's not forget that we are to enjoy him in worship too. We worship God because it glorifies him and because he demands it of us. We also worship him because it transforms us as we focus on him.

Worshiping God is for us. Corporate worship is an active response to the presence of God, involving not just the internal, but especially the external. When we meet together to worship, we are meeting with God.

It is my desire not only to worship my God, but to lead others in worship. I desire to lead others into the very throne room of God, so that they can meet with God, so they can be healed, changed, transformed, and renewed.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Nev,

You have blessed me deeply through the use of your gifts in leading me into the presence of God in worship! Thank you for the investment you have made in leading our Friday morning men's Bible study in worship -- these are sweet times with the brothers lifting our praise and worship to Jesus!

Dave

Nev said...

Thx, bro! You are such an encouragement to me. I give you credit for me starting this blog. Our lunchtime theology talks have been so beneficial. It keeps me sharp and thinking about the right stuff. Keep reading!

Nev

Dave Walz said...

Nev,

The picture of you playing the guitar at the retreat brings back wonderful memories of our time together there. The Lord met us in such a powerful, loving, and transforming way on that retreat. "I will never be the same again; I can never return, I've closed the door. I will walk the path, I'll run the race; and I will never be the same again." -- because of the grace of God poured out on us through our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ!!